This is the blog of Ant Miller, senior research manager and dilettante geek at large at the BBC.
I wail moan and cuss about the challenges and fun to be found here.
These are my personal opinions, and not those of my employer. Or anyone else here for that matter.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Northward ho! or, not.

Today we finally heard how the great big BBC north project was going to be taken up by R&D, and I think the approach we are taking is a very sensible one, but also a little scary. Basically, we are committing to set up a world class, top drawer kick butt R&D lab in Salford by 2011, but no one is going to be forced to go. The opportunity looks amazing, and for those with the flexibility to make the move, it'll be great. For the rest of us, there's still a lot of uncertainty.

Sadly there's still no clear idea of where the South East R&D lab will live- W12 is a possibility, though space is dreadfully tight there, and expensive, and the facilities management is deeply underwhelming. A Surrey base looks unlikely, as does a Cambridge one I think, but both options are being seriously considered. All in all, it was a day of progress, and a call to arms for those on the staff with the ability and the gumption to make a go of a future in the North. For me...? I just don't know.

No comments: