As a place to work, KW (as it's known to it's denizens) has charms and quirks a plenty. Huge spaces purpose built to shoot and show films, and converted decades ago to demonstrate television. Grand meeting suites with oak panels, and bay windows opening onto the croquet lawn. Here too was, for many years, the core of the BBC's onlne presence, built out of the sheer bloodymindedness of our now Cheif Scientist, Brandon Butterworth.
[Edit- I've just had a walk around the old site- and a grumble about the past is not the right send off]
What I won't miss about KW:
- Having no clue what's happening in the rest of the BBC ever.
- Missing lunch by 5 minutes.
- The lingering debilitating depression of the Varney/Highfield era.
- Vile tea and coffee.
- No mobile reception.
- Baking in summer, baking in winter (the central heating pipes liquid magma direct from the earths core to every single room)
- Long tedious deeply depressing conversations about previous senior management in the canteen.
- Empty offices and corridors echoing with the rattle of dismantling equipment.
- The Ceiling in A-Block reception.
- That there's almost always a secret short cut from one place to another (it's great fun to finish a presentation to a room full of invited guests and then disappear through a hidden door!)
- Mullioned windows
- Flying rockets on the feild
- Deer and fauns in the morning mist.
- Seeing colleagues knocking mud from the allotments off their boots in the hall
- Long facinating deeply technical conversations about everything from linear induction motors to victorial optical intruments in the canteen.
- Always finding new rooms I never knew existed.
- Bowling googlies on the lawn.
- Carols in the snow.
- Yoga in the club hut.
- The Canteen Staff- stars one and all.
* I joined R&D around the time of this lowest ebb, so much of this is hearsay, and in the interests of legal boilerplating, it can be read as a largely fictionalised account of the past.
CC Attribution to Rainrabbit for the mullioned window pic- one of very many lovely shots of KW from Rain.